Parts of China have been locked down again due to a record rise in Covid-19 cases
Eight districts in China’s Zhengzhou Province affected by the Covid-19 virus have been asked to stay at home for five days starting today (November 24) due to an increase in the number of cases. The government has said its 6.6 million residents will be allowed to buy food or get medical treatment, despite recent clashes this week as local police were seen attacking workers over a wage dispute at Apple’s largest iPhone factory.
Local authorities in the area said they would try to address the recent increase in cases by a Coordinator of the “War of Annihilation” over the next five days, while Apple makeroxconn promised to increase subsidies for employees in a bid to quash more violence. The company is under fire after employees reported poor working conditions and excessive force during the Covid-19 lockdown, which prompted thousands of workers to flee the vicinity earlier this month.
How many cases of Covid-19 are there in China?
The National Health Commission said that in the past 24 hours, the number of new Covid cases had risen by 31,444. This exceeds the previous peak in April when Shanghai was in a citywide lockdown that would last two months. It is also the highest daily number since the virus was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019.
The city of Guangzhou in Guangdong is believed to be the hardest-hit region, with an additional 1,645 confirmed cases since the previous day, and 15,528 cases overall, according to the Chinese news agency Sina. On Monday (November 21), Guangzhou suspended access to Baiyun District of 3.7 million people, while residents of some districts of Shijiazhuang, a city of 11 million southwest of Beijing, were told to stay home while mass testing took place. Officials in the Chinese capital said that evidence of a negative coronavirus test in the past 48 hours is now required to enter shopping malls, hotels, government buildings and factories.
Workers were seen installing a two-meter-high fence around old, low-rise brick residential buildings in Beijing’s Hongmiao Beili district. Half a dozen people in hazmat suits stood behind waist-high steel barriers normally used for crowd control at the entrance to a lane that ran through the hamlet.
At the same time, Apple issued its first public comments since the violence broke out at the Zhengzhou factory. “We have Apple team members on the ground at the Zhengzhou facility of our supplieroxconn,” the US company said in a statement. “We are reviewing the situation and working closely withoxconn to ensure that its employees’ concerns are addressed.” oxconn has offered $1,400, or 10,000 yuan, to workers who want to leave, in a bid to appease the angry new hires who played a key role in the protests this week.
The country’s Covid-19 caseload has remained small by global standards, and some believe that the world’s second-largest economy is being hampered by the tough pandemic restrictions and increasingly out of sync with the rest of the world. While the daily caseload is steadily increasing, the authorities have reported it First death in six monthsbringing the total to 5232.
There has also been growing frustration, with some Chinese social media users expressing anger and confusion about the new measures. At the same time, there was a rare public escalation of affected workers at the iPhone factory. oxconn, based in Taiwan, said its contractual payments obligations were “always met” and denied comments online that employees with the virus had been housed with other workers in dormitories.
Foxconn said Yicai Chinese mediaBefore new fellows move in, these dormitories are sanitized and approved by the government before new staff can be accommodated, and there is no mixing with the original staff.