Where is Yeardley Love’s Killer today? Refresh

The Crime Junkie Podcast’s ‘MURDERED: Yeardley Love’ focuses on the 22-year-old student athlete who was murdered in his bedroom in May 2010. Authorities focused on Yeardley Love’s boyfriend, George Huguely. As the investigation continued, police learned about the events of that fateful night, what led up to it, and George’s past disturbing behavior. So if you’re wondering what’s happened to him since then, we’ve got you covered.

Who is George Huguely?

George Huguely V was born in September 1987 to Martha Murphy and George Huguely IV. He belonged to a well-known family that made money by supplying timber. George’s parents married in December 1983 but separated inebruary 1996 and filed for divorce the following year; before that they had another child. A lengthy court battle for custody of the children followed, much of it played out in front of the children.

Image credit: TODAY/YouTube

George played many sports at school, including football, lacrosse, and basketball. He later attended the University of Virginia and met Yeardley through mutual social circles; he also played lacrosse. During his time at university, George exhibited very disturbing behaviour. In September 2007, he was arrested for reckless driving and a few months later for consuming alcohol as a minor. In addition, in 2008 George threatened killing a female police officer and hurling racial and sexual epithets at her. He was eventually charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest.

In 2009, one of George’s teammates, Gavin Gill, met Yeardley at a party. He then testified that’s when she told him she was breaking up with George. The two then became intimate, and then he went home. But Gavin then woke up to find George attacking him. Mike Burns, another lacrosse player from North Carolina, testified At a party inebruary 2010, George saw his arm around Yeardley’s neck. After he was released, he ran away.

Until the murder, George and Yeardley had more disagreements. In April 2010, he hit her with her wallet and they exchanged emails heated closer to the event. In one letter she accused George of sleeping with another man to hurt Yeardley, while in another she said “I should have killed you”. When questioned, George told police they had broken up shortly before Yeardley’s death.

George’s heavy drinking also helped, with a friend reporting that he was quite drunk on May 2, 2010. The investigation revealed that George texted multiple women asking them to meet up before going to Yeardley’s home. In a police interview, he admitted to kicking open the bedroom door and banging his head against the wall several times and shaking it. However, George claimed that his intention in going to Yeardley was to try to reconcile.

Where is George Huguely today?

Authorities also learned that George had injured his right leg by kicking something. During the trial, the defense argued that Yeardley died of complications from taking Adderal, adding that her injuries may have been caused by cardiovascular disease. However, the prosecution had expert testimony regarding the blunt force trauma Yeardley suffered as a result of the attack. Inebruary 2012, George was convicted of second-degree murder.

In August 2012, George, then 24, was sentenced to 23 years in prison for time served. In April 2022, Yeardley was back in court after his family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against him. George testified, saying he had been drinking heavily before the incident and did not remember entering her room and injuring her. George claimed he only remembered Yedley’s nose.

George later said: “I miss her and think about her every day. I would do anything to take back that night. “I take responsibility for what happened to him and I should never have gone to his apartment that night.” In the end it was George was held responsible in a civil suit and a jury awarded $15 million in damages. Jail records show he is being held at the Beaumont Correctional Center in Powhatan County, Virginia. George will be in his 40s when he is released, and as of 2017 was pursuing a college degree while behind bars.

Read more: How did Yeardley Love die?